Monday, January 28, 2008

Let the training begin!

Today was day 1 of my marathon training.
According to my training schedule I need to be walking 3 miles 3 times a week, whatever I can do in 40 minutes 1 day, and 5 - 6 miles 1 day.

Sounds easy enough right? I am sure that it will get easier as I go. Today Don dropped me off at the gym, too cold and snowy outside right now, I had an hour to do 3 miles. Some of you are probably laughing about this because it sounds SOOO simple!

I started out on one of the treadmills with very little frills. I load up my IPod to my Hip/Hop/Rap section and I am on my way. I get bored at the 1.5 mile marker, no matter how much booty shaking music I listen to to motivate me. I did the first mile and half in 29 minutes.
I rode the stationary bike for 2.5 miles and then decided I would take on the beast of a treadmill in the back of the room, it looked like it would be fun to use, and it was. It has a reverse incline function - So I would raise it to a 3 incline for .10 miles and then lower it to 0 for .10 and then lower it to neg. 3 for .10 miles. This helps with 2 things, simulating the hills in SF and then helping me keep my attention span. I finished on that tread mill doing another .9 miles. So I didn't reach my 3 mile walking goal in 1 hour, but I did almost 2.5 and I road a bike for 2.5. I feel good about it. Considering this is the first real physical activity that I have had in months.

2 comments:

kristin said...

Dude you ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are totally motivating me to get my butt off my bed and go workout.
My hats off to you

Me said...

you're on your way, and I think that was dang good start!